This site is in archival mode. A replacement is being developed. In the meantime, please use the PBW2 Forums for community discussions. The replacement software for this site will use a unified account system with PBW2, and any newly created threads will carry over.
Welcome to Spaceempires.net
Login or Register

Search
Modules
· Content
· Downloads
· Forums
· Game Info
· Image Gallery
· Links
· Shipyards
· Topics
· Staff

User Info
· Welcome, Anonymous
Membership:
· New: Astorre
· New Today: 0
· New Yesterday: 0
· Overall: 3155

People Online:
· Visitors: 73
· Members: 0
· Total: 73

Spaceempires.net :: Retail Effects? :: View topic
Forum FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Retail Effects?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Retail Effects? Reply with quote

What do you guys think the effects of Star Fury being available in retail stores will have?

I think we'll see a few new players but I don't imagine the game will resonate well with those unfamailiar with the Space Empires universe.

Space Empires Depot | SE:V Balance Mod

Fulgrymm
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a friend of mine who seen me play described it as a cheap version of Freelancer Rolling Eyes .

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it doesn't turn people off to SE4 Deluxe or SE5... Starfury is just very unpolished IMO - and I say that as a beta tester who did his darnedest to report every last bug! Wink

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been only a couple of players so far who have turned up in the Star Fury forum at Shrapnel with the retail version. I wonder if more are out there? Shocked

ekolis
Virtual Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well considering Shrapnel isn't the publisher anymore it's surprising even that many found their way there...

That's no space station - it's a spreadsheet!

Fyron
Galactic Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it? Perform a Google search for "starfury." Shrapnel Games' details page on Starfury is the 2nd hit.

Smarter than your average Texrak.

Hanitrader
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Retail Effects? Reply with quote

CaptainKwok wrote:
What do you guys think the effects of Star Fury being available in retail stores will have?

I think we'll see a few new players but I don't imagine the game will resonate well with those unfamailiar with the Space Empires universe.

As it happens- I'd had the plan to buy the game through Shrapnel, and then... it was gone! A couple of months later- I noted an ad on the Strategy first site- then headed over to a local Fry's Electronics and the game was at last in my hands!

While I've not played the other SE titles, I've long toyed around in the Star-Trader/Merchant catagory of games- over the last many years, especially with games independantly developed- Flatspace (!!!!!!), Starship Tycoon, Interstellar Trader 1 and 2 (Shrapnel), and on and on... To make a reply to one writers note of a friend of his watching him play Star Fury and calling it a cheap version of Freelancer... well, I can only reply with an old saying about "A Fool and His Money..."

Oh, I had a copy of Freelancer at one point, and really tried lovin' it, after all it was sure pretty! But in regard to playability... YUCK!!!!!!!!! Play a Merchant??? There were hardly any commodities. Missions, Trade or otherwise??? Missions=personal grudge hit-lists. Not to mention, everywhere one goes you get shot at, by everyone... Well, Freelancer is long gone from my software library- I hope the person that got it enjoys it more than I.

So far, what I've played of Star Fury is great. Playability does not equal state-of-the-art graphics, playability is the result of a programmers (singular or plural) creativity to make something unique, original, engaging, and long-lasting. Star Fury, despite it's move into the Retail world, still qualifies as an independant game, and as such is treasurable. If you have not tried any of the games I mentioned above, take a look.

Star Fury is cool, and a game gains fans as much by Magazine game reviews as much or more as it will by fans word-of-mouth.

D.

Atrocities
Shipyard Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will bring a lot of critisim and negative comments from folks who are looking for a game like Freelancer and end up with a game that belongs on a NES. Sad That will be the jest of the comments.

Where we're going we won't need roads.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad more people haven't taken up making mods for Star Fury. It has a lot of potential for a patient modder who is willing to design several styles of play into a series of campaigns.

Too bad MM isn't making a further patch as was expected after 1.15 was released. There are a few outstanding issues that can really leave you sour when encountered.

Hanitrader
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings again Kwok...

I picked up StarFury via the retail route- The version I have is 1.17; here's the list via the old "cut & paste" routine:

Version History for Space Empires: Starfury
---------------------------------------------------

Version 1.17:
1. Fixed - Improved high resolution timer.
2. Fixed - Potential Access Violation when shutting the game down.
3. Fixed - Better attuned the Direct Sound usage to the hardware capabilities.

Version 1.16:
1. Fixed - The mouse pointer no longer dissappears at screen edge.
2. Fixed - Font sizes standardized on different displays.
3. Fixed - Improved sound buffer allocation and usage. This should fix
crashing problems for users with limited sound cards.
4. Fixed - The sound for dropping and item into space and picking up an item
from space was not in 3D.
5. Fixed - Problem on some video cards where background space would appear warped.
6. Fixed - Rare Range Check Error with a ship's engine glow brightness.
7. Fixed - Shield hits were living longer than they should.
8. Fixed - Sometimes a crash would occur from commodity prices of zero.

Have not these problems not been addressed in your version? If not, drop MM a line, I've not had any performance issues here...

Cheers!

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of this update! Even MM's site lists 1.15 as the current version.

My concerns were actually not just with fixes, but with some elements of the game that were expected such as cloaking etc.

Edit: Hmm. It appears there is no way to update from 1.15 to 1.17, I wonder if MM will make a small patch for us 1.15 users.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard back from MM that they are working on a new patch for Star Fury. But Fyron has already posted that.

GMLocutus
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would love to make a starfury mod with loads of new ships in, the problem is any tutorial i've read is so damn complicated to understand. It's like a kryptic clue to me, the models and the changing to .x if a doddle, but implementing it into the game is seriously confusing.

I love starfury, it reminds me of elite and i think to many people are giving it negative write ups because they're expecting fancy work. I like it, i just can't mod the thing with the complicated tutorials.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The patch for 1.15 users to the retail version 1.17 is available. You can find it at strategy first or at my website: http://www.captainkwok.net/sfinfo.php

Paladin
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like the MM website is lagging behind the news, as usual...
Of course, I still prefer Aaron to work on SEV Laughing

That said, I was also unable to get a full version of SF after thouroughly going from one end of the demo to the other, so the retail launch really ringed a bell for me.
On the other hand, the very frustrating issue of PDCs not firing at different missiles as well as missing critical features (cloaking...) and real balance issues are kind of undercutting it's appeal for me.
It does have a half-finished ring to it, mainly because it was mostly intended as a way to develop 3D graphics for the SE series (if I remember the chat sessions with Aaron anyway)

Of course, if people started making real community Mods of the kind we see for SE4, I might be interested again, but it sounds unlikely with SE5 lurking behind the corner... It's just so more tempting to test it. Very Happy

Kiros3000
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings All,

I have downloaded Starfury as well.. I will give it a try tonight.

I have played many games in this genre. However, I have never found a title which inspired me as much as Frontier:Elite and First Encounter from David Braben.

Even though they are now very much outdated, I still play them from time to time just because of the depth of the gameplay.

Cheers

albi_joe
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the SF demo... I am an options-type of guy, and the whole SE universe has always been full of options. (Favorite mod is adamant; I missed trying a few others)

I didn't know SE:SF was out again... I thought the Star Wars Mod would be cool when it came out.

There is a fine line between Genius and Insanity. I am firmly on one side of that line!

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can grab from Strategy First for 20$ or in stores, although I haven't seen any retail copies where I live.

The Star Wars mod will be very cool when completed. The map created so far by Bearclaw might be worth the price of admission already. Razz

albi_joe
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came, I saw, I... failed. There is some error on the Str1st website and I will have to wait.

They have about 10 logs of the error from me - thet should be enough Razz

There is a fine line between Genius and Insanity. I am firmly on one side of that line!

sivran
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I love starfury, it reminds me of elite and i think to many people are giving it negative write ups because they're expecting fancy work. I like it, i just can't mod the thing with the complicated tutorials.

Well, considering that SF doesn't do anything really new (it's yet another elite-like), and other games do what SF does but in better ways, it's not all that surprising Starfury's not gotten a very good reception.

GMLocutus
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless, I feel Starfury hasn't been given the proper time it needed for people to see the good points. I mean for one, it's moddable, many other games which can do better are more restricted to what can and cannot be done, for example, Freelancer does allow you to land on a planet but you cannot store items, join guilds or do other stuff that SF can do.

X3 on the otherhand (from what i've played of it so far) doesn't allow you to land on planets, it's an extremely nice game and needs a middle-high spec computer to play it.

Starfury on the otherhand can be expanded, sure it has it's limitations, what games don't, but it can be modded, new ships, new stations, new planets. Just look at the star wars mod, the map is huge and we haven't got to adding the faction stations, planets, ships etc, plus there's load of room for new weapons, repair components etc, something which these more expensive retail games lack on.

Just on the ability to be modded makes Starfury a lot more worthwhile to play and you don't need a powerful computer to play it either.

Rojero
Space Emperor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i bought SE IV and SE III through mail order. I just happened to see SF in the stores and wanted to buy it. As for being a cheap version of Freelancer. I dont think it is, sure there are similarites but as far as replay and Mod Value I believe will help bring it around. i remember that when SE all the way through SE III took sometime to come around. SF is just in its infancy. I like the game a lot and am hoping to allow others to come around.

CaptainKwok
Balance Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, some good mods will could really help increase the fun factor of Star Fury. I think some people were sad though to see that MM kind of left the game hanging without some of the features being more developed etc.

However, MM did mention at somepoint an interest in doing a SF2, which might be lightyears better with his improved skills from SE:V etc.

SuicideJunkie
Leaky Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of mods:
http://imagemodserver.mine.nu/other/MM/SF/mods/

I highly reccommend the P&N-ism mod.
It has the same plotline as stock, but improves the physics of the game all over.

- Weapons are pretty different. Much more variety, and far more practical.
- Crew repairs your ship!
- Crew uses up lifesupport! More crew quarters means you need more lifesupport to keep them all alive Wink
- Armor is worth using in combat. It is also cheaper to throw out damaged plates and buy new ones, rather than repair them. Wink
- Combat and Damage is slower in general. Ships are far more likely to take internal damage and get away with their lives. (If they run, at least)
- Fighters are toughened up. No dying instantly. Useful as fire support for destroyers, and can also be used as decoys while you find a place to escape to.
- Big ships are scary. You won't be killing battleships with your destroyer.
- And more stuff I can't remember.

The best advice: NEVER block the line of fire of a TCN battleship Smile

Also, if you start in episode 2, there is a very special treat:
- A custom, warp-capable fighter with self-regen and leaky armor!
Very fun to fly. Notice that missiles can't target you, but PDCs can Wink And see how big those destroyers look!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Spaceempires.net Forum Index -> SF Spaceport All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: